Thursday, January 10, 2008

Book Review: See You In A Hundred Years

I had a bit of pocket change before
Christmas, and I decided to treat
myself to a few books from the LATOC
bookstore.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ItemCategorySubPages/StoreMainPage.html

Over the last 2 years, my tastes in
reading have changed. I rarely peruse
the fluffy stuff, like bodice rippers,
anymore. I don't care for mysteries,
I have read some teen based literature
to see what my daughter likes.

I decided to try See You In A
Hundred Years, Four Seasons In Forgotten
America
by Logan Ward. Here's
a guy from the country, living and working
in Manhattan. He takes his son to a zoo
and ends up watching another child who
can't recognize a cow. He decides that
his son will not suffer the same fate.
Between struggling with his over-dependence
on technology and "not being able to
see the stars at night", Logan and
his wife decide to embark on an
adventure.

The book tells the story of their return
to the countryside. It explains their
desire to try and live life for a year
in 1900, just as their forefathers had done.
They plan a very detailed reenactment,
from underwear, towels, tools, chipped
enamel plates and pencil sharpeners, to
what brand of beer was available in 1900.

The couple deal with crazy hunters, boy scouts,
illness, drought, persnickety draft horses,
canning, and the pressure that they put on
themselves. Logan is honest about the
emotional costs. Living in the last century,
when you weren't brought up in it proves
very taxing on their marriage.

They end up getting to know their neighbors
via their unusual project, and become the
focal point of their community. I read
this book in a day and a half, okay, I
devoured it. As my hubby has reluctantly
at times joined me in the farmlette lifestyle,
he read the book as well. We have much in
common with the young couple, as we've
tried to build up a place of semi-sustainability.

Darned good read, two hooves up!

~Michelle

No comments: